Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dream Catcher



I haven't made a dream catcher since I was about 12. My mom bought me a kit after I went to an American Indian festival for Girl Scouts. I had a lot of nightmares and anything Native American was awesome... it was the perfect project for me. I remember her asking me if the dream catcher was working and even though neither of us are superstitious I had to admit that I hadn't had any recent nightmares.

The other night I got a wild hair to make one for the first time since then. It was about 3 in the morning and I just walked into the backyard where I had thrown a flexible root the previous week, got out a box of embroidery thread I had found at a thrift store 5 years ago, and got started. I never used the thread before this but for some reason never managed to get rid of it either. Usually I donate or toss anything I don't use within a few months.

 I am weaving beads from a broken bracelet and several shells my mom picked out for me on the beach last time she came to visit me. The shells all had perfectly made holes in the top, perfect for making a necklace, and she just kept finding them every step we took and handing them to me. The ankh is a piece of jewelry I wore every day as a teenager. This dream catcher is sort of an ode to me and my mom since she got me my first one. The colors were chosen to match my sofa though. It's the size of a hula hoop!  

I will probably take more pictures when it's completely finished. I still have to close the hole, cut all the loose threads, and add a bunch of hanging parts. I am not sure what those will be, but I am going to visit my mom in California soon so I hope to find something with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment